Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Weird Day

So, I woke up today and decided that I needed to get a job. I know I know. I've been unemployed for a while, as school has been taking up most of my time, but I decided that working at a coffee shop might be a good thing. I've always been obsessed with Cafe culture, ever since I saw Dreams for an Insomiac. I feel like I must have only been like 12 or 13 when I saw it with my sister. It made me want to grow up and move to Seattle and work in a coffee house. Sometimes I still fantasize about it. Like I'll be working there in my impossibly cute black apron, with my hair pulled back but falling down in tendrils, smoking cigarettes (I don't smoke) while I stand behind the counter reading through my boyfriend (who also works there) his script. Then i give people dirty looks and coffee haphazardly and I'm an impossible hipster who everyone hates because they're so jealous. How come hipsters are always so skinny? I guess it's so they can fit into those skinny jeans. Anyway, so I went to this coffee house to apply for a job and the dreamy but asshole-ish boy behind the counter wouldn't even give me an application. He kind of stared at me in a "you're not cool enough to even fill out an application," way. But he just said, "we're not hiring." And then I stood there stammering and asked if I could fill out an application for them to have on file. He shook his head and said, "there's none left." I still didn't move, just stood there, and he actually walked away over to the cappuccino machine and started cleaning it. I felt so rejected. In this really intense way. Not just cause of the job thing, but because, I don't know. He made me feel like I'm a piece of crap, not worthy of being polite to. It upset me a lot. It happens sometimes I guess.

2 comments:

Grace said...

Hello Lila! Just so you know, there is no smoking in coffee houses (or restaurants, or any public building) in Washington State. So that part of your fantasy is just that...fantasy. :-)

Anyway, love your blog. I've been thinking about doing weight loss hypnosis for a while, and saw the Think & Shrink advertised, but first wanted to see if there were any positive reviews for the program. So, I do think I'm going to try it... Graciela

Lila said...

Graciela, Thanks so much for your post. If you decide to do the program, I hope that you like it. It's been helping me immensely. Please feel free to ask me any questions! Good luck!